Mr. Matthew ReadFRACS, MBBS
Oesophago-Gastric and Bariatric Surgeon
Matthew is a general and upper gastrointestinal surgeon with a special interest in minimally invasive surgery and endoscopy for both benign and malignant conditions of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
After graduating from Monash University in 2003, Matthew completed his residency and surgical training through Western Health in Melbourne. After completing his general surgical fellowship in 2016, Matthew was accepted by the Australian and New Zealand Gastro Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA) for subspecialty training in the field of upper gastrointestinal surgery. This was undertaken at both St Vincent's and the Alfred Hospitals in Melbourne. These training posts provided Matthew with extensive experience in the management of complex upper gastrointestinal tract conditions. Commencing in late 2019, Matthew has also been accepted by the University Medical Center in Utrecht, the Netherlands, to undertake a surgical oncology fellowship with a special focus on robotic surgery.
Matthew is nearing the completion of a PhD which has focused on the development of preclinical models to better understand oesophageal cancer and its precursor, Barrett’s oesophagus. This work has led to numerous publications, awards and international collaborations. Most recently, Matthew has been appointed to the advisory board of OESO, a worldwide organisation which focuses on diseases of the oesophagus.
Matthew provides the following services
- Oesophagectomy (removal of the oesophagus)
- Gastrectomy (removal of the stomach)
- Hiatal hernia repair
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Heller’s myotomy (for achalasia)
- Abdominal Wall Hernia Repair
- Gastric Banding for Obesity
- Sleeve Gastrectomy for Obesity
- Gastric Bypass for Obesity
All of these are usually performed via keyhole surgery (unless specific patient circumstances require open surgery).
Education & Experience
- Upper GI Fellow (ANZGOSA), the Alfred Hospital, 2018
- Upper GI Fellow (ANZGOSA), St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne, 2017
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), General Surgery, 2016
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Monash University, 2003
Matthew Read and the team at Melbourne Gastro Oesophageal Surgery team are extensively involved in research ensuring patients receive the most up to date and effective treatments.
- Read MD, Krishnadath KK, Clemons NJ, Phillips WA. Preclinical models for the study of Barrett's carcinogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2018 Jul 5. doi: 10.1111/nyas.13916.
- David S. Liu, Cuong P. Duong, Sue Haupt, Karen G. Montgomery, Colin M. House, Walid J. Azar, Helen B. Pearson, Oliver M. Fisher, Matthew Read, Glen R. Guerra, Ygal Haupt, Carleen Cullinane, Klas G. Wiman, Lars Abrahmsen, Wayne A. Phillips & Nicholas J. Clemons. Inhibiting the system xC/glutathione axis selectively targets cancers with mutant-p53 accumulation. Nature Communications 2017. DOI: 10.1038/NCOMMS14844.
- Liu DS, Hoefnagel SJ, Fisher OM, Krishnadath KK, Montgomery KG, Busuttil RA, Colebatch AJ, Read M, Duong CP, Phillips WA, Clemons NJ. Novel metastatic models of esophageal adenocarcinoma derived from FLO-1 cells highlight the importance of E-cadherin in cancer metastasis. Oncotarget. 2016 Dec 13;7(50).
- Liu DS, Read M, Cullinane C, et al. APR-246 potently inhibits tumour growth and overcomes chemoresistance in preclinical models of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Gut 2015. DOI: 10.1136/gutjnl-2015-309770.
- Read M, Liu D, Duong CP, Cullinane C, Murray W, Fennell C, Shortt J, Westerman D, Burton P, Clemons NJ, Phillips WA. Intra-muscular transplantation improves engraftment rates for esophageal patient-derived tumor xenografts. Annal of Surg Onc. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-015-4425-3.
- M Read. Barrett’s Oesophagus. ANZGOSA Training Day, Melbourne, 2019.
- M Read. Surgical Academia. SUGGS Meeting, Sydney, 2017.
- M Read, A Correia, D Liu, D Straub, N Clemons, C Duong, K.K. Krishnadath & W Phillips. Reversing Barrett’s Metaplasia in a Novel Organoid Model. Combined ANZGOSA / SUGGS Meeting, Sydney, 2016.
- M Read, S Calpe, D Liu, D Straub, N Clemons, C Duong, K.K. Krishnadath & W Phillips. Targeting the BMP pathway in Barrett’s carcinogenesis for molecular imaging & therapeutics. General Surgeons Australia, Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, 2015.
- Matthew Read, David Liu, Nicholas Clemons, Christina Fennell, Cuong Duong & Wayne Phillips. A novel xenograft model for investigating Barrett’s carcinogenesis. Australian Health and Medical Research Congress, Melbourne, Australia. 2014.
- M Read, D Liu, MP Bernardi, C Duong, N Clemons, W Phillips. A novel pre-clinical model for the study of Barrett’s oesophagus. Annual Scientific Congress of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Singapore. 2014. Abstract published in ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2014; 84: 209.
- Matthew Read, Nicholas Clemons, Wayne Phillips, Christina Fennell & Cuong Duong. An improved xenograft model for testing novel therapies in oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Annual Scientific Congress of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Auckland. 2013. Abstract published in ANZ J. Surg. 2013; 83 (Suppl. 1) 98-104.
- Matthew Read, Nicholas Clemons, Christina Fennell, Cuong Duong & Wayne Phillips. Patient derived tumour xenografts and the development of personalized medicine in oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Combined IsDEAS & ANZGOSA Meeting, Melbourne. 2013.
- M Read. Oesophageal Cancer. ANZGOSA Meeting, Wellington, 2018.
- M. Read. Esophageal Stem Cells (Invited Talk). OESO, Geneva, 2017.
- M. Read, A. Correia, S. Calpe, N. Clemons, D. Liu, W.A. Phillips, K.K. Krishnadath. Remodeling Barrett’s Metaplasia in a Novel In Vivo Organoid Model. Digestive Diseases Week, Chicago, 2017.
- M. Read, Krishnadath KK, Liu DSH, Duong CP, Clemons NJ, Phillips WA*. A novel xenograft model of human Barrett’s esophagus. Digestive Diseases Week, San Diego, 2016.
- Phillips WA, Read M, Liu D, Fennel C, Duong C, Clemons N. Patient Derived Tumor Xenografts: Preclinical Models for Personalising Therapy for Esophageal Cancers. 14th World Congress of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus, Vancouver, Canada. Abstract published in Diseases of the Esophagus. 2014; 27 (Supp): 64A.
- Read, M., Croagh, D., Clemons, N. J., Fennell, C., Duong, C., Phillips, W. A. Developing a novel in vivo tissue reconstitution system for the study of Barrett’s oesophagus. 13th World Congress of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus, Venice, Italy (oral presentation). Abstract published in Diseases of the Esophagus. 2012; 25 (Supp.1): 57A.
Current research interests
- Basic biology of Barrett’s oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma
- Development of novel treatments for Barrett’s oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma
- Developing a robotic upper gastrointestinal surgical program
- Outcomes following fundoplication in lung transplant recipients
- Clinical Tutor, The University of Melbourne (2018 – ongoing)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, faculty member for surgical skills course (ASSET) and organised of both the Fellowship examination in general surgery and annual scientific congress in 2020 (2018 – ongoing)
Public Hospital Appointments
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, St Vincent’s Health, Melbourne
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, the Alfred Hospital
- FRACS – Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- ANZGOSA – Australia and New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgery Association
- ANZHPBA – Australia and New Zealand Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- OESO – Member of the Permanent Scientific Committee
- FRACS, MBBS, BMedSci, PG DipSurgAnat
- Oesophago-Gastric, Bariatric and General Surgeon
- Clinical Tutor, University of Melbourne
- Faculty Member, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons