Dr. Salena WardGastric, Bariatric and General Surgeon
Dr Salena Ward is a Gastric, Bariatric and General Surgeon who consults in East Melbourne, Box Hill and Bundoora. She has specialised training and experience with surgery of the stomach. She believes in thorough consultation about your particular condition and situation to provide the best treatment.
Salena provides the following services:
- Gastrectomy (resection of the stomach, often for cancer)
- Anti-reflux surgery / fundoplication
- Hiatus hernia repair (as well as diaphragmatic hernia repair)
- Heller’s cardiomyotomy (for achalasia)
- Sleeve gastrectomy and Gastric bypass surgery (for obesity)
- Cholecystectomy (removal of gallbladder, usually for stones)
- Hernia Repair for hernia of the abdomen or groin
- Gastroscopy (endoscopy/camera of the upper gut)
Many of the above operations can be performed by laparoscopy (keyhole surgery) if appropriate.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, The University of Melbourne, 2000
- Postgraduate Diploma of Surgical Anatomy, Melbourne University Private, 2003
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), General Surgery, 2009
- Specialist Fellowship in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne, 2009-2011
- Specialist Fellowship in Oesophago-Gastric Surgery, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2011-2012
D Liu, S Stevens, E Wong, J Fong, K Mori, N Fleming, P Beh, A Crowe, T Howard, M Slevin, A Jain, A Gill, S Lee, W Jamel, S Bennet, C Chung, S Ward, V Muralidharan. Variations in practice of thomboprophylaxis across general surgical subspecialties: a multicentre (PROTECTinG) study of elective major surgeries. ANZ J Surg. 2020 Sep.
D Liu, S Stevens, E Wong, J Fong, K Mori, S Ward, S Lee, T Howard, A Jain, A Gill, P Beh, M Slevin, W Jamel, N Fleming, S Bennet, C Chung, A Crowe, V Muralidharan. Pre-operative and intra-operative chemical thromboprophylaxis increases bleeding risk following elective cholecystectomy: a multicentre (PROTECTinG) study. ANZ J Surg. 2020 Jun.
J Sivakumar, F Alnimri, M Johnson, S Ward, L Chong, M Hii. Health economic analysis of curative-intent gastrectomy for gastric carcinoma and the costs related to post-operative complications. ANZ J Surg. 2020 Jun.
J Goonawardena, S Ward. Effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on Barrett's esophagus: a systematic review. SOARD. 2020.
A Lee, S Ward. Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency after Total Gastrectomy - A Systematic Review. J of Pancreas. 2019.
J Sivakumar, L Chong, S Ward, T Sutherland, M Read, M Hii. Body Composition Changes Following a Very-Low-Calorie Pre-Operative Diet in Patients Undergoing Bariatric Surgery. Obes Surg. 2019.
L Qu, E Newnham, S Ward, L Huang, R MacGinley, L McMahon. Balanced Crystalloid Solution Versus Normal Saline on Biochemical Outcomes in Acute Medical and Surgical Patients. World J Neph Urol. 2018.
RJ GRanek, MW Hii, SM Ward. Major Gastric Haemorrhage After Intragastric Balloon Insertion: Case Report. Obes Surg 2017 Oct 25.
Matthew Wei, Salena Ward. The anti-factor Xa range for low molecular weight heparin thromboprophylaxis. Hematology Reports 2015; volume 7:5844.
S Ward, B Waxman. Bringing an International Flavoru to the RACS Regional Committee Annual Scientific Meetings (ASMs). ANZ J Surg. April 2015. Vol 85, Issue 4. pp208-9.
Pilgrim CH, Satgunaseelan L, Ward SM, Evans PM. Gallbladder carcinoma as a long-term complication of cholecystojejunostomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009 Dec; 13(12):2330-2
Huang JG, Lim W, Ward SM, McLaughlin SJ. Education and Imaging. Hepatobiliary and pancreatic: splenic autotransplantation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Jul;23(7 Pt 1):1662
Ward SM, Mobsby CJ, Wilkinson S. Capsule endoscopy: a surgical perspective. ANZ J Surg. 2008 Jan-Feb;78(1-2):28-33
Oral + Poster Presentations
- Ward S. "Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency Post Gastrectomy - A Literature Review." Oral Presentation. ANZGOSA Conference, Queenstown. Oct 2014.
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. "Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency After Major Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery." Poster Presentation. Eastern Health Research Week. Dec 2013.
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. "Pancreatic Exocrine Function after Major Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery tested with a Carbon 13 Mixed Triglyceride Breath Test." Poster Display. DDF / AUGIS Conference, Liverpool, UK. Jun 2012.
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. "Pancreatic Exocrine Function measured post Major Upper Gastrointestinal Resections." Oral Presentation. European Pancreatic Conference, Magdeburg. Jun 2011.
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. “Pancreatic Exocrine Function post Oesophagetomy, Gastrectomy and Pancreato-duodenectomy.” Oral presentation. ANGZOSA/ANHPBA Annual Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand. Sep 2010
- Ward S, Mackay S, Cade R, Hassen S, Banting S, Gibson P. "Pancreatic Exocrine Function post Oesophagectomy, Gastrectomy and Pancreatoduodenectomy." Oral poster presentation + electronic post display. European Pancreatic Conference, Stockholm. Jun 2010.
- Ward SM. “Choledocholithiasis post bile duct reconstruction.” Case presentation. Annual Courses in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Austin Health & The University of Melbourne. Melbourne, Australia. Sep 2008
- Ward SM, McLaughlin S. “Colonscopy: Do Surgeons Do It Better?” Oral presentation. Annual Scientific Congress, RACS, Hong Kong. May 2008.
- Ward SM. “Operative Assessment: Is it appendicitis or not?” Poster display.Annual Scientific Meeting, Victorian State Committee, RACS. Nov 2006
- Ward SM, Mobsby CJ, Wilkinson S. “Capsule Endoscopy: The Tasmanian General Surgical Experience.” Oral Presentation. Annual Scientific Meeting, Tasmanian State Committee, RACS. Oct 2005
- Master of Surgery completed May 2013 with Monash University
Title: Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency Post Gastrectomy, Oesophagectomy and Panceato-duodenectomy
Public Hospital Appointments
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne.
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Eastern Health, Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne
- RACS - Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- AANZGOSA - Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgery Association
- ANZHPBA - Australia and New Zealand Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- ACMAV - Australian Chinese Medical Association of Victoria
- ASAM - Australasian Society of Aerospace Medicine
- GSA - General Surgeons Australia
Private Consulting & Operating Locations
Dr Salena Ward
Suite 301, Level 3
100 Victoria Parade
After hours message service
03 8652 1958